Year 2 were delighted to welcome History off the Page for an exciting and in…
Elstree School was founded in 1848. With the outbreak of war in 1939, staff and 70 boys moved to Woolhampton House in Berkshire. This fine Georgian house, standing in a 150-acre estate of green parkland and lawns, proved so ideal that Woolhampton House became Elstree’s permanent home at the end of the war, where the School remains today. Owned and run by the Sanderson family until 1961, Elstree School was then incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee and is a registered Charity.
In the last 30 years, Elstree has carried out major development work to extend existing facilities and accommodation for our pupils. This includes a superb library, all-weather tennis courts, dining room, a new junior classroom block, a Sports Hall and in January 2013, a brand new Science Centre comprising two state-of-the art Science Laboratories, new classrooms and changing rooms which was opened by the High Sheriff of Berkshire and former parent, Mr Charles Brims. A new all-weather pitch giving a full size hockey/football pitch and 9 tennis courts in the summer opened in 2015.
Elstree’s nursery and pre-preparatory department, Home Farm, was opened in 1993 in the Home Farmhouse, an attractive 18th century building in the grounds of the main school. Over its 20 year history it has expanded to include purpose-built classrooms, playground, and two new classrooms opened in September 2013.
These developments have all been made possible through the generosity of parents, Old Boys, friends of the school and the Bernard Sunley Charitable Foundation.