|History of Elstree School|
Elstree School was founded in 1848, in Elstree, Hertfordshire. With the outbreak of war in 1939, staff and 70 boys moved to Woolhampton House in Berkshire.
This fine Georgian house, standing in a 150-acre estate of green parkland and lawns, proved so ideal that Woolhampton House became Elstree’s permanent home at the end of the war, where the School remains today.
Owned and run by the Sanderson family until the 1960’s, Elstree School became an Educational Trust Company in 1961 and is now a Registered Charity, controlled by a Board of Governors.
In the last 30 years, Elstree has carried out major development work to extend existing facilities and accommodation for our pupils. This includes a superb new library, new all-weather tennis courts, a new junior classroom block, opened in the Summer of 2005 a Sports Hall, opened in January 2000 by Field Marshal Lord Bramall, one of Elstree’s most distinguished Old Boys and in January 2012, a brand new Science Centre comprising two state-of-the art Science Laboratories and new classrooms and changing rooms, opened by the High Sheriff of Berkshire and former parent, Mr Charles Brims.
Elstree’s nursery and pre-preparatory department, was opened in 1993 in the Home Farmhouse, an attractive 18th century building in the grounds of the main school and over its 20 year history has expanded to include purpose-built classrooms and playground.These developments have all been made possible through the generosity of parents, Old Boys, friends of the school and the Bernard Sunley Charitable Foundation.